Sunday, November 04, 2007

Session X: Recognitions, Part II - Markus Duchèsne

Markus stared at the hysterical creature before them.

"I win, I win, I have your heart and soul. You will stay with me forever. Oh how wonderful, wonderful, two for one, two for one". Screeched Vetis of Silk.

Vilsaran had lost the wager. He had bargained where Markus had not. For the heart and soul of Kerna, a girl they did not know and the price he now paid, was his own. Markus looked at his companion, the colour had drained from his face, but he remained composed.

The damned fool! we should have left when we had the chance. The girl was lost, but we still had a chance... I still have a chance... Gods be damned!

"Double or quits" Markus roared. "let us have this final game and be done with it"!

A knock at the door roused Markus from his slumber. He had clearly dropped off while composing a letter at his desk.

"Not now Sidric, I'll call for you in another hour or so".

"Yes Sir, I'll go finish the writing assignment you gave me".

"Double or quits" Markus whispered.

But I didn't speak. I remained silent, waited too long. I was spared my guilt by the grace of the gods. The fey woman - Lady Summer spoke in my stead. She had realised the creature was a cheat, all bets were off, the prize claimed. Double or quits, how I yearned to say those words, but I did not...

Markus dipped his pen once more into the ink pot and continued his letter.

No comments: